DOWNHAM, a township and a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Ribble, at the boundary with Yorkshire, 2 miles NE of Chatburn r. station, and 3 NE of Clitheroe; and has a post office under Blackburn. Acres, 1,870. Real property, £2,211. Pop., 292. Houses, 70. The chapelry is larger than the township. Pop., 433. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Downham Hall, belongs to the Asshetons. Some of the inhabitants are cotton-spinners. Limestone, of curiously fossiliferous character, is quarried. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £129.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel. A school has £26 from endowment; and other charities £10.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- St Leonard, Chatburn Road, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Downham area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Ribble Valley.
You can see pictures of Downham which are provided by:gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Downham to another place. Whalley. maps of Downham and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD784442 (Lat/Lon: 53.893522, -2.330170), Downham which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.