DOWNHAM, a township and a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Ribble, at the boundary with Yorkshire, 2 miles NE of Chatburn r. station, and 3 NE of Clitheroe; and has a post office under Blackburn. Acres, 1,870. Real property, £2,211. Pop., 292. Houses, 70. The chapelry is larger than the township. Pop., 433. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Downham Hall, belongs to the Asshetons. Some of the inhabitants are cotton-spinners. Limestone, of curiously fossiliferous character, is quarried. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £129.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel. A school has £26 from endowment; and other charities £10.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)