EDGE-HILL, a suburb and five chapelries in West Derby district, Lancashire. The suburb adjoins the E side of Liverpool; lies on the Liverpool and Manchester railway; includes a pleasant eminence near the road to Prescot; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Liverpool. The chapelries are St. Mary, St. Stephen, St. Jude, St. Timothy, and St. Catherine: the two last constituted in 1862 and 1863. The first four are p. curacies, and St.is a vicarage, in the diocese of Chester. Value of St. M. and St. J., each £300; of St. S., £300;* of St. T., £200; of St. C., £230. Patron of St. M., J. Stewart, Esq.; of St. S., St. J., and St. C., Trustees; of St. T., not reported. The five churches are modern; the newest built in 1863.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Edge Lane , Welsh Particular Baptist
- Marmaduke St, Congregational
- St Catherine, Tunnel Rd, Church of England
- St Cyprian, Durning Rd, Church of England
- St Dunstan, Earle Rd, Church of England
- St Mary, Towerland Street, Church of England
- St Nathaniel, Oliver Street , Church of England
- St Stephen the Martyr, Crown Street, Church of England
- St Stephen the Martyr, Grove Street, Church of England
- Palmerston St, Primitive Methodist
- Durning Rd, United Methodist Free Church
- Holt Rd, United Methodist Free Church
- Edge Lane, Welsh Calvinist Methodist
- Plimsoll St, Welsh Wesleyan Methodist
- Edge Lane, Hindu
- Bethel House , Durning Rd, Love and Joy Ministries
- St Peter & Paul, Edge Lane , Catholic
- St Anne, Overbury St, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Edge Hill area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Liverpool gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Edge Hill to another place. West Derby, in the parish of Walton on the Hill. maps of Edge Hill and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ366899 (Lat/Lon: 53.402089, -2.955071), Edge Hill which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.