EDGE-HILL, a suburb and five chapelries in West Derby district, Lancashire. The suburb adjoins the E side of Liverpool; lies on the Liverpool and Manchester railway; includes a pleasant eminence near the road to Prescot; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Liverpool. The chapelries are St. Mary, St. Stephen, St. Jude, St. Timothy, and St. Catherine: the two last constituted in 1862 and 1863. The first four are p. curacies, and St.is a vicarage, in the diocese of Chester. Value of St. M. and St. J., each £300; of St. S., £300;* of St. T., £200; of St. C., £230. Patron of St. M., J. Stewart, Esq.; of St. S., St. J., and St. C., Trustees; of St. T., not reported. The five churches are modern; the newest built in 1863.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- St Peter & Paul, Edge Lane, Catholic
- St Catherine, Tunnel Rd, Church of England
- St Cyprian, Durning Rd, Church of England
- St Dunstan, Earle Rd, Church of England
- St Mary, Towerland Street, Church of England
- St Nathaniel, Oliver Street, Church of England
- St Stephen the Martyr, Crown Street, Church of England
- St Stephen the Martyr, Grove Street, Church of England
- Marmaduke St, Congregational
- Edge Lane, Hindu
- Bethel House, Durning Rd, Love & Joy Ministries
- Palmerston St, Primitive Methodist
- St Anne, Overbury St, Roman Catholic
- Durning Rd, United Methodist Free Church
- Holt Rd, United Methodist Free Church
- Edge Lane, Welsh Calvinist Methodist
- Edge Lane, Welsh Particular Baptist
- Plimsoll St, Welsh Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Edge Hill area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Liverpool gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Edge Hill to another place. West Derby, in the parish of Walton on the Hill. maps of Edge Hill and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ366899 (Lat/Lon: 53.402089, -2.955071), Edge Hill which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview