EDGE-HILL, a suburb and five chapelries in West Derby district, Lancashire. The suburb adjoins the E side of Liverpool; lies on the Liverpool and Manchester railway; includes a pleasant eminence near the road to Prescot; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Liverpool. The chapelries are St. Mary, St. Stephen, St. Jude, St. Timothy, and St. Catherine: the two last constituted in 1862 and 1863. The first four are p. curacies, and St.is a vicarage, in the diocese of Chester. Value of St. M. and St. J., each £300; of St. S., £300;* of St. T., £200; of St. C., £230. Patron of St. M., J. Stewart, Esq.; of St. S., St. J., and St. C., Trustees; of St. T., not reported. The five churches are modern; the newest built in 1863.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)