ELLEL, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Lancaster district, Lancashire. The township is in Cockerham parish; lies adjacent to the Lancaster canal, and the Lancaster and Preston railway, near Galgate station, 4 miles S by E of Lancaster; and is cut into two divisions, north and south. Post town, Galgate, under Lancaster. Real property of the N div., £5,243; of the S div., £3,895, of which £10 are in quarries. Pop. of the whole, in 1851, 1,484; in 1861, 1,968. Houses, 369. The increase of population arose from the erection of a silk factory, and the re-opening of a cotton factory. Ellel Grange and Ellel Hall are chief residences. The chapelry is less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1858. Pop., 1,877. Houses, 351. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Cockerham. The church is good; and there are three dissenting chapels and two public schools. The sub-district contains also three other townships and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 28,888. Pop., 4,020. Houses, 715.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)