ELTON, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Bury district, Lancashire. The township is in Bury parish; lies adjacent to the Bury and Bolton and Bury and Haslingden railways, 1¾ mile WSW of Bury; and contains Starling and Summerseat. Post town, Bury, Lancashire. Acres, 2,521. Real property, £36,105; of which £1,680 are in mines, £50 in quarries, and £1,702 in gas-works. Pop., 8,172. Houses, 1,494. The cotton, the paper, and the iron trades are carried on; and an increase of population in the decade ending in 1861 arose from the prosperity of these trades, and from the advantages of railway and canal communication. The chapelry is less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1843. Pop., 7,716. Houses, 1,394. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Manchester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Bury. The church is an edifice in the Norman style. The sub-district excludes the part of the township not in the chapelry, and includes part of another Bury township, and parts of two other parishes. Acres, 3,817. Pop., 9,584. Houses, 1,745.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)