EUXTON, a chapelry in Leland parish, Lancashire; on the Preston and Wigan and Preston and Bolton railways, near the river Yarrow, 2 miles NW by W of Chorley. It has stations on the railway, and a post office under Chorley. Acres, 2,924. Real property, £6,491. Pop., 1,491. Houses, 283. The property is much sub-divided. Euxton Hall is a chief residence. A decrease of population occurred, prior to 1861, from the burning of a cotton mill. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £200.* Patrons, the Heirs of J. Armetriding. The church is ancient, in tolerable condition; and has a Norman font. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed school with £28, and other charities with £15.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Euxton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
The registers of the parish church, have been published by the Lancashire Parish Register Society as follows.
- Volume 128 - Bap 1734-1781.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD557186 (Lat/Lon: 53.661994, -2.671885), Euxton which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.