EVERTON, a suburban township, seven chapelries, and a sub-district, in Walton-on-the-Hill parish, West Derby district, Lancashire. The township is suburban to Liverpool; lies within Liverpool borough, on the NE side of the town, contiguous to Kirkdale; and has a post office under Liverpool, 1½ mile distant from the Liverpool head-office. It had a village older than Liverpool, situated on an eminence, commanding an extensive view over the Mersey to Wales and the Irish channel; but it takes its present character from the growth and prosperity of Liverpool; has long been a favourite residence of many merchants; and comprises numerous airy streets and numerous elegant villas. It contains the cottage occupied by Prince Rupert in 1644; a mansion, called St. Domingo, built with money accruing from a French prize ship; the workhouse of West Derby district; the Liverpol hospital for infections diseases, about to be rebuilt in 1869; the Liverpool collegiate institution; several national or other public schools; a public cemetery, formed in 1825; St. George's church, built in 1814, at a cost of £12,000; four churches built between 1829 and 1857; St. Saviour's church, in the Lombardic style, at a cost of £5,400, built in 1866; Emmanuel church, of very costly character, built in 1867; two Scotch Presbyterian chapels, built in 1863 and 1866; several English dissenting chapels; and a Roman Catholic church, designated St. Edward's college church, built in 1859 to the extent of three eastern chapels, measuring internally 280 feet in length, possessing fine features of the mediaeval style of architecture, and designed as part of an intended cathedral. Acres of the township, 700. Real property, £162,758; of which £742 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 25,883; in 1861, 54,848. Houses, 9,288. The chapelries are St. George, St. Augustine, St. Chrysostom, St. Peter, Christchurch, St. Saviour, and Emmanuel. The living of St. Chrysostom is a vicarage, and the other livings are p. curacies, in the diocese of Chester. Value of St. George and St. Augustine, each £300; of St. Chrysostom, £400; of the others, not reported. Patron of Christchurch, T. B. Horsfall, Esq.; of Emmanuel, I - D. Anderson, Esq.; of St. Peter, not reported; of the others, Trustees. The sub-district includes also the township of Kirkdale. Acres, 1,832. Pop., 70,983. Houses, 11,830.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Long Lane, Cemetery
- Necropolis, West Derby Rd/Everton Rd, Cemetery
- Long Lane, Jewish Cemetery
- St George, Heyworth St, Church of England
- Richmond, Breck Rd, Baptist
- Ormond St, Village St, Welsh Baptist
- All Saints, Great Nelson St, Church of England
- Christ Church, Great Homer St, Church of England
- Emmanuel, West Derby Rd, Church of England
- St Ambrose, Prince Edwin St, Church of England
- St Augustine, Shaw St, Church of England
- St Benedict, Kepler St, Church of England
- St Chad, Walton Breck Road, Everton Valley, Church of England
- St Chrysostom, Aubrey Street, Church of England
- St Cuthbert, Robson St, Church of England
- St George, Heyworth St, Church of England
- St John Chrysostom, Queen's Rd, Church of England
- St John the Evangelist, Richmond Terrace, Church of England
- St Peter, Sackville Street, Church of England
- St Polycarp, Netherfield Road North, Church of England
- St Saviour, Breckfield Road North, Church of England
- St Timothy, Rokeby Street, Church of England
- Hill O'Zion, Cochrane St, Independent Methodist
- St Domingo, Breckfield Rd North, Methodist New Connexion
- Northumberland Terrace, Primitive Methodist
- Hamilton Rd, United Methodist Free Church
- Thirlmere Rd, Church of Christ
- Everton Valley, Liverpool, Presbyterian
- Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, St Domingo Road, Roman Catholic
- St Edward, St Domingo Road, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Everton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Liverpool gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Everton to another place. Walton on the Hill. maps of Everton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ356923 (Lat/Lon: 53.423537, -2.970600), Everton which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.