FARRINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Penwortham parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Lostock, and on the Preston and Wigan railway, 4 miles S of Preston; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Preston. Acres, 1,786. Real property, £7,174. Pop., 1,791. Houses, 311. The property is divided among a few. Farrington House and Farrington Lodge are chief residences. Part of the land is marshy. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton mills. The chapelry is more extensive than the township; and was constituted in 1843. Pop., 2,292. Houses, 407. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £120. Patron, the Incumbent of Penwortham. The church is modern. There is a free school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)