FARNWORTH, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Prescot parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands near the St. Helen's and Runcorn Gap railway, 2¾ miles N by E of Runcorn Gap, and 4¾ SE of Prescot; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Warrington. The chapelry is partly in Warrington district; and was constituted in 1859. Pop. of the Warrington d. part, 1,539; of the whole, 6,447. Houses in the W. d. part, 283; in the whole, 1,191. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Prescot. The church is ancient, and was recently restored. Another church, at Widnes Dock, was built in 1858, and designed with a view to enlargement. There is a free gammar-school. William Smith, the founder of Brasenose college, Oxford, and bishop of Lincoln, was born in this chapelry, at Peel House.-The sub-district comprises the townships of Widnes, Cronton, Ditton, and Bold. Acres, 10,861. Pop., 8,879. Houses, 1,599.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- St Luke (formerly St Wilfrid), Pit Lane, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Farnworth area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Halton. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Farnworth to another place. Widnes, in the parish of Prescot. maps of Farnworth and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ515876 (Lat/Lon: 53.382998, -2.730629), Farnworth which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.