"FARNWORTH, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Prescot parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands near the St. Helen's and Runcorn Gap railway, 2¾ miles N by E of Runcorn Gap, and 4¾ SE of Prescot; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Warrington. The chapelry is partly in Warrington district; and was constituted in 1859. Pop. of the Warrington d. part, 1,539; of the whole, 6,447. Houses in the W. d. part, 283; in the whole, 1,191. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Prescot. The church is ancient, and was recently restored. Another church, at Widnes Dock, was built in 1858, and designed with a view to enlargement. There is a free gammar-school. William Smith, the founder of Brasenose college, Oxford, and bishop of Lincoln, was born in this chapelry, at Peel House.-The sub-district comprises the townships of Widnes, Cronton, Ditton, and Bold. Acres, 10,861. Pop., 8,879. Houses, 1,599."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)