FLIXTON, a township and a parish in Barton-upon-Irwell district, Lancashire. The township lies in the peninsula between the rivers Irwell and Mersey, 3½ miles SSE of Barton-Moss r. station, and 7 WSW of Manchester; and has a post office under Manchester. Acres, 1,575. Real property, £6,966. Pop., 1,302. Houses, 251. The parish includes also the township of Urmston. Acres, 2,549. Real property, £11,477. Pop., 2,050. Houses, 409. The property is subdivided. Flixton Hall is the seat of the Wright family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is good; and there were placed in it, in 1859, two memorial windows of Mr Thomas Rogers and of the Wright family. The vicarage of Urmston is a separate charge, constituted in 1868. There are two Wesleyan chapels, and charities £11.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)