GARSTON, a small town, a township, and a chapelry, in Childwall parish, Lancashire. The town stands on the Mersey, and on the Warrington, Garston, and Liverpool railway, 6 miles SE of Liverpool; was once noted for extensive salt-works; is now a sub-port to Liverpool, with new docks; and has a railway station with telegraph, and a post office under Liverpool. The town ship includes also Aigburth, a suburb of Liverpool. Acres, 3,293; of which 1,665 are water. Real property, £31,643. Pop. in 1851, 2,756; in 1861, 4,720. Houses, 763. The chapelry includes only the eastern part of the township; excludes Aigburth; and was constituted in 1828. Pop., 2,016. Houses, 356. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £138.* Patron, Richard Watt, Esq. The church is very good; and there are two dissenting chapels, Church schools, and charities £12.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Earp St, Baptist
- Garston Old Rd, Congregational
- Island Rd, United Reformed
- St Mary, St Mary's Rd, Cressington Park, Grassendale, Church of England
- St Michael, Church Rd, Church of England
- Island Rd, Methodist Free Church
- Heald St, Welsh Wesleyan Methodist
- Banks Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Island Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Clifton St, Presbyterian
- Bowden Rd, Unitarian
- Chapel Rd, Welsh Presbyterian (Calvinist)
- Holy Trinity, Banks Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Austin, Aigburth Rd, Grassendale, Roman Catholic
- St Francis of Assisi, Earp St, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Garston area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Liverpool. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Garston to another place. Childwall. maps of Garston and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ403842 (Lat/Lon: 53.351291, -2.898348), Garston which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.