GARSTON, a small town, a township, and a chapelry, in Childwall parish, Lancashire. The town stands on the Mersey, and on the Warrington, Garston, and Liverpool railway, 6 miles SE of Liverpool; was once noted for extensive salt-works; is now a sub-port to Liverpool, with new docks; and has a railway station with telegraph, and a post office under Liverpool. The town ship includes also Aigburth, a suburb of Liverpool. Acres, 3,293; of which 1,665 are water. Real property, £31,643. Pop. in 1851, 2,756; in 1861, 4,720. Houses, 763. The chapelry includes only the eastern part of the township; excludes Aigburth; and was constituted in 1828. Pop., 2,016. Houses, 356. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £138.* Patron, Richard Watt, Esq. The church is very good; and there are two dissenting chapels, Church schools, and charities £12.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Earp St, Baptist
- St Michael, Church Rd, Church of England
- St Mary, St Mary's Rd, Cressington Park, Church of England, Grassendale
- Garston Old Rd, Congregational
- Island Rd, Methodist Free Church
- Clifton St, Presbyterian
- Holy Trinity, Banks Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Francis of Assisi, Earp St, Roman Catholic
- St Austin, Aigburth Rd, Roman Catholic, Grassendale
- Bowden Rd, Unitarian
- Island Rd, United Reformed
- Chapel Rd, Welsh Presbyterian (Calvinist)
- Heald St, Welsh Wesleyan Methodist
- Banks Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Island Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Garston area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Liverpool. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Garston to another place. Childwall. maps of Garston and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ403842 (Lat/Lon: 53.351291, -2.898348), Garston which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview