Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
GARSTON, a small town, a township, and a chapelry, in Childwall parish, Lancashire. The town stands on the Mersey, and on the Warrington, Garston, and Liverpool railway, 6 miles SE of Liverpool; was once noted for extensive salt-works; is now a sub-port to Liverpool, with new docks; and has a railway station with telegraph, and a post office under Liverpool. The town ship includes also Aigburth, a suburb of Liverpool. Acres, 3,293; of which 1,665 are water. Real property, £31,643. Pop. in 1851, 2,756; in 1861, 4,720. Houses, 763. The chapelry includes only the eastern part of the township; excludes Aigburth; and was constituted in 1828. Pop., 2,016. Houses, 356. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £138.* Patron, Richard Watt, Esq. The church is very good; and there are two dissenting chapels, Church schools, and charities £12.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Earp St, Baptist
- Garston Old Rd, Congregational
- Island Rd, United Reformed
- St Mary, St Mary's Rd, Cressington Park, Grassendale, Church of England
- St Michael, Church Rd, Church of England
- Island Rd, Methodist Free Church
- Heald St, Welsh Wesleyan Methodist
- Banks Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Island Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Clifton St, Presbyterian
- Bowden Rd, Unitarian
- Chapel Rd, Welsh Presbyterian (Calvinist)
- Holy Trinity, Banks Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Austin, Aigburth Rd, Grassendale, Roman Catholic
- St Francis of Assisi, Earp St, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Garston area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Garston area is Liverpool
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Garston which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ403842 (Lat/Lon: 53.351291, -2.898348), Garston which are provided by: