GOLBORNE, a parish in Leigh district, Lancashire; on the Wigan and Newton railway, 2 miles NNE of Newton. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Warrington. It was formerly a township of Winwick parish. Acres, 1,634. Real property, £6,683; of which £1,038 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,910; in 1861, 2,776. Houses, 513. The increase of pop. arose from the demand for operatives in cotton factories. The property is subdivided. Golborne Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £110.* Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is a modern edifice, in the early English style; and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are an Independent chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, erected in 1863, a Church of England school, and charities £36.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)