GOLBORNE, a parish in Leigh district, Lancashire; on the Wigan and Newton railway, 2 miles NNE of Newton. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Warrington. It was formerly a township of Winwick parish. Acres, 1,634. Real property, £6,683; of which £1,038 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,910; in 1861, 2,776. Houses, 513. The increase of pop. arose from the demand for operatives in cotton factories. The property is subdivided. Golborne Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £110.* Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is a modern edifice, in the early English style; and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are an Independent chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, erected in 1863, a Church of England school, and charities £36.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Charles St, Baptist
- St Thomas, Church St, Church of England
- High St, Congregational
- High St, Independent Methodist
- Bridge St, Primitive Methodist
- Edge Green Lane, Primitive Methodist
- Lowton Rd, Primitive Methodist
- All Saints, High St, Roman Catholic
- High St, Welsh Wesleyan Methodist
- Heath St, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Golborne area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Wigan and Leigh. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Golborne to another place. Winwick. maps of Golborne and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ616977 (Lat/Lon: 53.474612, -2.580028), Golborne which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview