GOLBORNE, a parish in Leigh district, Lancashire; on the Wigan and Newton railway, 2 miles NNE of Newton. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Warrington. It was formerly a township of Winwick parish. Acres, 1,634. Real property, £6,683; of which £1,038 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,910; in 1861, 2,776. Houses, 513. The increase of pop. arose from the demand for operatives in cotton factories. The property is subdivided. Golborne Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £110.* Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is a modern edifice, in the early English style; and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are an Independent chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, erected in 1863, a Church of England school, and charities £36.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Charles St, Baptist
- High St, Congregational
- St Thomas, Church St, Church of England
- High St, Independent Methodist
- Bridge St , Primitive Methodist
- Edge Green Lane, Primitive Methodist
- Lowton Rd, Primitive Methodist
- High St, Welsh Wesleyan Methodist
- Heath St, Wesleyan Methodist
- All Saints, High St, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Golborne area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Wigan and Leigh. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Golborne to another place. Winwick. maps of Golborne and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ616977 (Lat/Lon: 53.474612, -2.580028), Golborne which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.