Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
CROSBY (Great), a village and a chapelry in Sephton parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the coast, near the river Mersey's mouth, 1¾ mile W of the Liverpool and Southport railway, 6½ miles NNW of Liverpool; is a much-frequented watering place; and has a station on the railway, a post office under Liverpool, and two hotels. The chapelry comprises 5,627 acres; of which 3,510 are water. Real property, £22,495. Pop., 3,794. Houses, 686. The property is much subdivided. Crosby House is the seat of John Myers, Esq. Crosby Point is near the village; Crosby lighthouse, 1¼ mile N of the Point, was erected in 1839, and shows a fixed light, 81 feet high; Crosby floating light is moored at the east elbow of the Burbo bank; and Crosby Channel, between that bank and the Formby, and about 6½ miles long, is the main entrance to. the Mersey. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £119.* Patron, the Rector of Sephton. The church was built in 1854, is cruciform and handsome, and has a tower with lofty spire. There are an elegant Wesleyan chapel, built in 1863 at a cost of £5,000, a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed grammar school, an endowed girls' school, and a Roman Catholic convent school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Crosby
- Oxford Rd, Waterloo, Baptist
- United Free , Crosby Rd North , Waterloo, Baptist
- Church Rd, Waterloo, Congregational
- United Free , Crosby Rd North , Waterloo, United Reformed
- All Saints, Forefield Lane, Church of England
- Christ Church, Crosby Road South, Waterloo, Church of England
- Old Christ Church, Waterloo Road, Waterloo, Church of England
- St Faith, Crosby Rd North, Church of England
- St John, St John's Road, Waterloo, Church of England
- St Mary the Virgin, Park Rd, Waterloo Park, Waterloo, Church of England
- St Michael, Church Rd, Church of England
- St Michael, Dowhills Rd, Blundellsands, Church of England
- St Nicholas, Bridge Road, Blundellsands, Church of England
- Crosby Road South, Waterloo, Welsh Calvinist Methodist
- Bath St, Waterloo, Wesleyan Methodist
- Mersey Rd, Blundellsands, Wesleyan Methodist
- Haigh Rd, Waterloo, Latter Day Saints
- Warren Rd, Blundellsands, Presbyterian
- St Andrew, Crosby Road South, Waterloo, Presbyterian
- St Edmund, Oxford Road, Waterloo, Roman Catholic
- St Helen, Alexandra Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Joseph, Serpentine South, Blundellsands, Roman Catholic
- St Peter & St Paul, Liverpool Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Thomas of Canterbury, Great George's Rd, Waterloo, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Great Crosby area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Great Crosby area is Sefton South
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Great Crosby which are provided by:
In 1835 Great Crosby was a township in the parish of Sefton
You can see the administrative areas
in which Great Crosby has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ324997 (Lat/Lon: 53.489642, -3.020341), Great Crosby which are provided by: