Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
HARWOOD (GREAT), a town, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district in Blackburn parish and district, Lancashire. The town stands near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 1½ mile SW of the river Calder, 2¼ SE of Ribchester r. station, and 4½ NE of Blackburn; is a rising place, well built of native stone; nearly doubled its population in the ten years prior to 1865; is governed by a local board of health; and has a post office under Accrington, a news-room, cotton mills, a national school, a church, and chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics. The church is ancient, and has a west tower. The Roman Catholic chapel is a handsome edifice of 1860. Pop., in 1861, 3,294. Houses, 637. The chapelry comprises 2,510 acres. Real property, £9,521; of which £75 are in gasworks, and £85 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2,548; in 1861, 4,070. Houses, 782. The manor belongs to James Lomax, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £200. * Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The sub-district contains also two other townships of Blackburn parish, and one of Whalley. Acres, 6,950. Pop., 10,220. Houses, 1,952.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Accrington
- James Barlow Memorial, Charles St, Baptist
- Queen St, Congregational
- Barnmeadow Lane, United Reformed
- St Bartholomew (originally St Laurence), Park Lane, Church of England
- St John, St John's St, Church of England
- Emmanuel, Segar St, Free Church of England
- Jubilee School, Windsor Rd, Methodist
- Orchard St, Primitive Methodist
- Jubilee chapel, Mercer St, Primitive Methodist
- Mount Zion, Cattle St, United Methodist
- Russell Place, Wesleyan Methodist
- Windsor Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Mount Zion, Commercial St, Wesleyan Methodist
- Towngate Pentecostal, Town Hall Street, Pentecostal
- Clayton St, Spiritualist
- Our Lady and St Hubert, St Hubert Street, Roman Catholic
- St Wulstan, Rushton Street , Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Great Harwood area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Great Harwood which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Great Harwood has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD736321 (Lat/Lon: 53.784546, -2.402165), Great Harwood which are provided by: