It was founded in 1865 and closed in 1898.
The Primitive Methodists built their first church in Mercer Street in 1865 called Jubilee Chapel. Then in 1898 they built a school in Orchard Street. The congregation moved to the school from the Mercer Street chapel which became a social club before being demolished.
The Primitive Methodist church was an early 19th century (1807) secession from the Wesleyan Methodist church and was particularly successful in evangelising agricultural and industrial communities at open meetings. In 1932 the Primitive Methodists joined with the Wesleyan Methodists and the United Methodists to form the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches etc. themselves.