HEATON (Great), a township in Prestwich parish, Lancashire; on the river Irk, 4 miles N by W of Manchester. It was anciently known as Heaton-Reddish; and it includes the hamlet of Lands-End. Acres, 866. Real property, £2, 508. Pop., 159. Houses, 34. The manor belonged to the Langleys, and passed to the Reddishes, the Cokes, and the Drinkwaterses. Most of the land, with Heaton House, belongs now to the Earl of Wilton. Heaton House is a modern edifice, in the Ionic style; and stands in a well wooded park, about 5 miles in circuit
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Great Heaton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Manchester. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Great Heaton to another place. Prestwich. Great Heaton in the 19th century. maps of Great Heaton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD834043 (Lat/Lon: 53.535079, -2.251935), Great Heaton which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.