GRESSINGHAM, a township-chapelry in Lancaster parish, Lancashire; on the river Lune, 2 miles NW of Hornby r. station, and 8 NE of Lancaster. It includes Eskrigg hamlet; and its post town is Hornby, under Lancaster. Acres, 1, 934. Real property, £2,244. Pop. in 1851, 187; in 1861, 158. Houses, 34. The decrease of pop. was caused partly by the removal of an academy. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £80. * Patron, the Vicar of Lancaster. The church is ancient, of various dates; and was partially rebuilt in 1861.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)