HALEWOOD, a township in Childwall parish, and a chapelry partly also in Huyton parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Garston and Warrington railway, near the river Mersey, 5½ miles E of Garston; includes the hamlet of Hale Bank; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Liverpool. Acres, 3, 759. Real property, £7,250. Pop. in 1851, 1,146; in 1861, 1,205. Houses, 219. The manor belongs to the Earl of Derby. The chapelry includes only part of the township, and was constituted in 1844. Pop. in 1861, 1,184. Houses, 214. Pop. of the part in H. township, 835. Houses, 149. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Childwall. The church was built in 1839, and enlarged in 1847; and is in the early English style. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)