HAPTON, a township in Whalley parish, Lancashire; on the East Lancashire railway and on the Liverpool and Leeds canal, 3 miles WSW of Burnley. It has a station on the railway. Acres, 3,570. Real property, £8,634; of which £4,520 are in mines, and £300 in quarries. Pop. in l851, 550; in 1861, 1,003. Houses, 177. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of cotton spinning. There are also chemical works. Old seats here belonged to the Haberghams and the Shuttleworths; and the chief property now belongs to Charles Townley, Esq. There is an endowed school; and the schoolroom is used for religions worship.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)