HARWOOD, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Bolton-le-Moors parish, Lancashire. The village stands 3 miles NE of Bolton r. station, and 4 W of Bury. The township comprises 1,100 acres. Post town, Bolton. Real property, £5,556; of which £800 are in mines, and £400 in quarries. Pop., 2,055. Houses, 435. The property is much subdivided. There are a cotton mill and a and was constituted in 1845. Pop., 1,525. Houses, 326. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £90.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is a recent structure, in the early English style; and has a small tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)