HARWOOD, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Bolton-le-Moors parish, Lancashire. The village stands 3 miles NE of Bolton r. station, and 4 W of Bury. The township comprises 1,100 acres. Post town, Bolton. Real property, £5,556; of which £800 are in mines, and £400 in quarries. Pop., 2,055. Houses, 435. The property is much subdivided. There are a cotton mill and a and was constituted in 1845. Pop., 1,525. Houses, 326. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £90.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is a recent structure, in the early English style; and has a small tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Christ's Church, Stitch-mi-Lane, Church of England
- Longsight, Wesleyan Methodist
- St Brendan, Longsight, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Harwood area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Bolton. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Harwood to another place. Bolton. Harwood in the 19th century. maps of Harwood and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD749118 (Lat/Lon: 53.602152, -2.380785), Harwood which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.