HAUGHTON, a village and a township in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The village stands adjacent to Denton, on the river Tame, and on the Stalybridge and Stockport railway, at the boundary with Cheshire, 3 miles NNE of Stockport; and shares with Denton village
an ancient felt hat manufacture, and an important present trade. The township comprises 1,130 acres. Real property, £10,848; of which £2,489 are in mines, and £20 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 3,042; in 1861, 3,371. Houses, 687. Coal mining is largely carried on.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)