HEAP, a village, a township, and a parochial chapelry in Bury parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the river Roche and the Bury and Rochdale railway, 2 miles E of Bury. The township includes also the town of Heywood, with its post office and r. station; and is nearly divided into the chapelries of Heap and Heywood. Acres, 2,934. Real property, £56,545; of which £200 are in mines, £80 in quarries, and £1,200 in gas works. Pop. in 1851, 16,048; in 1861, 17,353. Houses, 3,535. Pop., exclusive of Heywood town, in 1861, 4,529. Houses, 1,905. There are large paper mills, cotton mills, and wool mills, manufactories of power looms and boilers, works of iron and brass founding, two churches, eight dissenting chapels, a mechanics' institution, and four national schools, mostly in Heywood. The chapelry was constituted in 1840. Pop. in 1861, 7,633. Houses, 1,605. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is modern.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)