HEAP, a village, a township, and a parochial chapelry in Bury parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the river Roche and the Bury and Rochdale railway, 2 miles E of Bury. The township includes also the town of Heywood, with its post office and r. station; and is nearly divided into the chapelries of Heap and Heywood. Acres, 2,934. Real property, £56,545; of which £200 are in mines, £80 in quarries, and £1,200 in gas works. Pop. in 1851, 16,048; in 1861, 17,353. Houses, 3,535. Pop., exclusive of Heywood town, in 1861, 4,529. Houses, 1,905. There are large paper mills, cotton mills, and wool mills, manufactories of power looms and boilers, works of iron and brass founding, two churches, eight dissenting chapels, a mechanics' institution, and four national schools, mostly in Heywood. The chapelry was constituted in 1840. Pop. in 1861, 7,633. Houses, 1,605. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is modern.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Heap Bridge area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Rochdale. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Heap to another place. Bury. Heap in the 19th century. maps of Heap Bridge and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD824104 (Lat/Lon: 53.589875, -2.267368), Heap Bridge which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.