HEYHOUSES, a township and a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The township lies in Pendle forest, adjacent to Sabden village, 4½ miles SE by S of Clitheroe r. station; and was at one time extra-parochial. Acres, 320. Real property, £460. Pop., 128. Houses, 28. The chapelry also includes part of Sabden, which has a post office under Blackburn; and it was constituted in 1849. Pop., 1,616. Houses, 339. The manor belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, L. G. N. Starkie, Esq. The church was built in 1842; is in the Norman style; and consists of nave and chancel, with tower and spire. There is a national school, with an endowment of £10 a year.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)