We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
HEYWOOD, a town and a chapelry in Heap township, Bury parish, and a sub-district in Bury district, Lancashire. The town stands on the Rochdale canal, and on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, near the river Roch, 3 miles E of Bury; was, toward the close of last century, a mere village, inhabited chiefly by hand loom fustian weavers; has acquired importance from the working of coal in the adjoining townships of Bamford and Hopwood, and from the enterprise and skill of local capitalists; and is now a populous, busy, thriving seat of various manufactures. Pop. of the town in 1851, 12,194; in 1861, 12,824. Houses, 2,630. The chapelry is less extensive than the town, and was constituted in 1840. Pop., 9,231. Houses, 1,843. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £400. Patron, the Rector of Bury. See Heap. The sub-district contains the chief part of Heap township, an uninhabited portion of Bury township, part of Pilsworth township, and the whole of Hopwood township, the last two in Middleton parish. Pop., 17,591. Houses, 3,582.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) more...
- Rochdale Rd, Baptist
- Jireh, Starkey St , Baptist
- Rochdale Rd East, Congregational
- All Souls, Rochdale Rd East, Church of England
- St James, Tower St, Church of England
- St Luke, York St, Church of England
- St Margaret, Heys Lane, Church of England
- Bury New Rd, Free Methodist
- Manchester Rd, Free Methodist
- Trinity Methodist, Earl St, Methodist
- Miller St, Methodist New Connexion
- Bridge St, Primitive Methodist
- Miller St, Primitive Methodist
- Bethel, Bethel St, United Methodist Free Church
- Central Methodist, Market St, Wesleyan Methodist
- Starkey St , Christadelphian
- Bridge St, Christian Spiritualist Church
- Hornby Street, Christian Spiritualist Church
- Kingdom Hall, Taylor St, Jehovah's Witness
- Heywood Mission , Fox St , Mission
- Church St, New Jerusalem
- Evangelical Church, Manchester Rd, Non-conformist
- Bridge St, Salvation Army
- Brittain Hill, Unitarian
- Our Lady and St Paul , Argyle Street , Roman Catholic
- St Joseph, Dawson St, Roman Catholic
- St Joseph, Mary St, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Heywood area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Heywood area is Rochdale
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Heywood which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Heywood has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD842104 (Lat/Lon: 53.589933, -2.240175), Heywood which are provided by: