Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
HINDLEY, a town, a township, two chapelries, and a sub-district in Wigan parish and district, Lancashire. The town stands adjacent to the Wigan and Bolton railway, 2½ miles ESE of Wigan; is a seat of cotton manufacture; and has a post office under Wigan, a railway. station with telegraph, two churches, five Independent chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, three national schools, an endowed grammar school, charities £85, and a fair on the first Thursday of Aug. There are extensive cotton mills, and a large and prosperous co-operative store. All Saints church was built in 1766, on the site of a previous edifice; is a plain brick structure; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a belfry; and contains a font and mural monuments. St. Peter's church was built in 1864; is a handsome edifice in the pointed style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porches and a lofty tower and spire. The township is returned statistically as conterminate with the town; but includes the hamlets of Platt-Green or Platt-Bridge and Hindley Green, which have stations on the Wigan and Tyldesley railway 1½ and 3¾ miles from Wigan, and the hamlet of Hindley Common, which is 4 miles from Wigan, and has a post office under Wigan. Acres of the township, 2,522. Real property, £32,550; of which £14,130 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 7,023; in 1861, 8,477. Houses, 1,630. The property is subdivided. The chief landowners are the Earl of Ellesmere, Lord Kingsdown, Sir H. de Trafford, Messrs. Hargreaves, and J. Walmsley, Esq. Coal is extensively worked. A "burning well" is here, emitting inflammable gas, produced by the decomposition of mineral substances in the substrata. The chapelries are All Saints and St. Peter; the former parochial, the latter of recent constitution, and both p. curacies in the diocese of Chester. Value of A. S., £300;* Patron, the Rector of Wigan. Value and Patron of St. P., not reported. The sub-district contains also the townships of Ince-in-Mackerfield and Abram. Acres, 6,801. Pop. in 1851, 11,661; in 1861, 17,654. Houses, 3,336.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Wigan
- Market St, Particular Baptist
- St Paul, Chapel St, Independent
- All Saints, Chapel Fields Lane, Church of England
- St John The Evangelist, Atherton Road, Hindley Green, Church of England
- St Nathaniel, Church Road, Platt Bridge, Church of England
- St Peter, Liverpool Road & Atherton Road, Church of England
- Argyle Street, Independent Methodist
- Liverpool Rd, Platt Bridge, Independent Methodist
- St John, Bridge Street, Methodist
- Bridgewater St, Primitive Methodist
- Low Green Rd, Platt Bridge, Primitive Methodist
- Leigh Rd, Hindley Green, United Methodist Free Church
- Bethel, Atherton Road, Hindley Green, United Methodist Free Church
- Walthew Lane, Platt Bridge, Wesleyan Methodist
- Argyle Street, Christian Meeting House
- Gorsey Road, Church of Christ
- Presbyterian Fold, Market St, Unitarian
- Holy Family, Lily Lane, Platt Bridge, Roman Catholic
- Sacred Heart of Jesus, Swan Lane, Hindley Green, Roman Catholic
- St Benedict, Market St, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Hindley area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The registers of the parish church, All Saints, have been published by the Lancashire Parish Register Society as follows.
- Volume 138 - Bap 1644-1814, Mar 1644-1813, Bur 1642-1814.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Hindley which are provided by:
"HINDLEY is a chapelry in the parish of Wigan, from which town it is distant three miles, in which is a rare phenomenon, called by the inhabitants the 'Burning Well,' which attracts many visitors. This well is similar to the one at Petoa Mala, near Fierenzota, in Italy, with this difference, that the flame of the Italian spring is perpetual, except in heavy rains, and consists of sulphuric gas, while the inflammable principle of the one at Hindley is the decomposition of water acting upon ores and sulphate of iron. The number of inhabitants in this chapelry, in 1821, was 3,757."
Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of the county of Lancashire - Pigot & Co. 1828
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD616043 (Lat/Lon: 53.533934, -2.580838), Hindley which are provided by: