HOLLINWOOD, a village and a chapelry in Prestwich parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the Rochdale canal and the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 1½ mile SSW of Oldham; is modern and large; has a post office under Manchester, and several factories; and is a seat of petty sessions. The chapelry was constituted in 1835. Pop. in 1861, 6,298. Houses, 1,289. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Prestwich. The church is plain. There are an Independent chapel of 1866, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and national-schools.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)