Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
HOLLINWOOD, a village and a chapelry in Prestwich parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the Rochdale canal and the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 1½ mile SSW of Oldham; is modern and large; has a post office under Manchester, and several factories; and is a seat of petty sessions. The chapelry was constituted in 1835. Pop. in 1861, 6,298. Houses, 1,289. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Prestwich. The church is plain. There are an Independent chapel of 1866, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and national-schools.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Oldham
- Hollins Rd, Baptist
- Bethesda, Milton St, Baptist
- Beulah, Withins Rd, Baptist
- The Memorial Church, Manchester Rd, Congregational
- Alford St, Welsh Congregational
- St Chad, Limeside Rd, Church of England
- St Margaret of Antioch, Chapel Rd, Church of England
- Limeside Rd, Methodist
- Hudson St, Methodist New Connexion
- Bourne St, Primitive Methodist
- Hollins Rd, Primitive Methodist
- St John, Manchester Rd, United Methodist Free Church
- Hollins, Millgate, Wesleyan Methodist
- Old Lane, Bible Mission
- St James, Byron St, Free Church of England
- St James, Manchester Rd, Free Church of England
- Manchester Rd, Salvation Army
- Byron St/Hive St, Spiritualist
- Corpus Christi, Derby Street , Roman Catholic
- Holy Family, Roman Road , Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Hollinwood area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Hollinwood area is Oldham
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Hollinwood which are provided by:
In 1835 Hollinwood was a chapelry in the parish of Oldham
You can see the administrative areas
in which Hollinwood has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD904022 (Lat/Lon: 53.516379, -2.146255), Hollinwood which are provided by: