HOLLINWOOD, a village and a chapelry in Prestwich parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the Rochdale canal and the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 1½ mile SSW of Oldham; is modern and large; has a post office under Manchester, and several factories; and is a seat of petty sessions. The chapelry was constituted in 1835. Pop. in 1861, 6,298. Houses, 1,289. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Prestwich. The church is plain. There are an Independent chapel of 1866, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and national-schools.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Hollins Rd, Baptist
- Bethesda, Milton St, Baptist
- Beulah, Withins Rd, Baptist
- The Memorial Church, Manchester Rd, Congregational
- Alford St, Welsh Congregational
- St Chad, Limeside Rd, Church of England
- St Margaret of Antioch, Chapel Rd, Church of England
- Limeside Rd, Methodist
- Hudson St, Methodist New Connexion
- Bourne St, Primitive Methodist
- Hollins Rd, Primitive Methodist
- St John, Manchester Rd, United Methodist Free Church
- Hollins, Millgate, Wesleyan Methodist
- Old Lane, Bible Mission
- St James, Byron St, Free Church of England
- St James, Manchester Rd, Free Church of England
- Manchester Rd, Salvation Army
- Byron St/Hive St, Spiritualist
- Corpus Christi, Derby Street , Roman Catholic
- Holy Family, Roman Road , Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Hollinwood area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Oldham. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Hollinwood to another place. Oldham. maps of Hollinwood and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD904022 (Lat/Lon: 53.516379, -2.146255), Hollinwood which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.