HOLME, a chapelry, with a village, in Whalley parish, Lancashire; on the Rose-Grove and Todmorden branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, near the sources of the rivers Irwell and East and West Calder, at the E verge of the county, 4 miles SE by S of Burnley. It has a station on the railway; and its posttown is Burnley. It is conterminate with the township of Cliviger, and was constituted in 1842. Acres, 6,160. Real property, £14,950; of which £7,870 are in mines, and £179 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,441; in 1861, 1,770. Houses, 346. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £101. Patron, T. H. Whitaker, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1788; contains tablets of the Whitaker, Hargreaves, Ormerod, and Edmondson families; and has a vault of the Whitakers, in which lie the remains of the Lancashire historian, Dr. Whitaker. There are Wesleyan chapels at Mereclough and Cornholme, and a national school near the church. The Cornholme Wesleyan chapel is an edifice in the pointed style, built in 1853.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)