HUNCOAT, a village and a township in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The village stands on a risingground, adjacent to the East Lancashire railway, 1½ mile NE by E of Accrington; and has a station on the railway, and chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans. The township comprises 960 acres. Real property, £2,336; of which £50 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 598; in 1861, 839. Houses, 154. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of cotton spinning. The Accrington cemetery and the reservoir of the Accrington waterworks are on the border.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Burnley Road, Cemetery and Crematorium
- Higer Gate Rd, Baptist
- St Augustine, Bolton Avenue, Church of England
- Station Road, Wesleyan Methodist
- Our Lady, Altham Lane, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Huncoat area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Hyndburn and Rossendale. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Huncoat to another place. Whalley. maps of Huncoat and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD776306 (Lat/Lon: 53.771252, -2.341347), Huncoat which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.