HUNCOAT, a village and a township in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The village stands on a risingground, adjacent to the East Lancashire railway, 1½ mile NE by E of Accrington; and has a station on the railway, and chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans. The township comprises 960 acres. Real property, £2,336; of which £50 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 598; in 1861, 839. Houses, 154. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of cotton spinning. The Accrington cemetery and the reservoir of the Accrington waterworks are on the border.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)