Huyton with Roby
HUYTON, a village, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Prescot district, Lancashire. The village stands near the Manchester and Liverpool railway, 5½ miles E of Liverpool; contains, with its neighbourhood, many good houses; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Liverpool. The township comprises 1,630 acres. Real property, £10,593; of which £369 are in quarries. Pop. m 1851, 1,295; in 1861, 1,612. Houses, 283. The parish contains also the townships of Knowsley, Roby, and Tarbock. Acres, 9,807. Real property, £32,942; of which £1,367 are in mines, and £699 in quarries. Pop. in 1861, 4,054. Houses, 724. Much of the land, with Knowsley Hall, belongs to the Earl of Derby. Tarbock is the property of the Earl of Sefton. The Hazels is the seat of Sir Thomas B. Berch, Bart. Stone is quarried; and about 200 acres are peat moss. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester value, £690.* Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is ancient; was recently restored; and has two good memorial windows, and an ancient carved oak screen. The p. curacies of Knowsley and Roby are separate benefices. There are chapels for Independents and Roman Catholics, national schools for Huyton and Knowsley, and charities £40. The Independent chapel is a recent and handsome edifice, in the pointed style. The subdistrict contains also Thingwall hamlet. Pop., 4,094. Houses, 732.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Page Moss Lane, Baptist
- Pinnington Place, Congregational
- Seel Road, Congregational
- Park Hall, Huyton Hey Rd, Congregational
- St Bartholemew, Church Road, Roby, Church of England
- St Gabriel, Hall Lane, Huyton Quarry, Church of England
- St George, Primrose Drive, Church of England
- St Michael, Huyton Lane, Church of England
- Trinity, Huyton House Rd, Page Moss, Church of England
- Trinity, Huyton House Rd, Page Moss, Methodist
- Court Hey, Roby Road, Methodist
- Court Hey, Roby Road, Methodist
- Welsh Calvinist Methodist
- Wood Lane, Huyton Quarry, Welsh Calvinist Methodist
- Seel Road, Huyton Quarry, Wesleyan Methodist
- Park Hall, Huyton Hey Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Bethany, Dinas Lane, Gospel Hall
- St Agnes, Hey Road, Huyton Quarry, Roman Catholic
- St Aiden, Adswood Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Aloysius, Twig Lane, Roby, Roman Catholic
- St Columba, Primrose Dr, Roman Catholic
- St Dominic, Southdean Rd, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Huyton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Knowsley. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Huyton to another place. Croxteth Park, Knowsley and Tarbock. the history of Huyton, and some information about the history of Roby. maps of Huyton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ442911 (Lat/Lon: 53.413733, -2.840986), Huyton which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.