Huyton with Roby
HUYTON, a village, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Prescot district, Lancashire. The village stands near the Manchester and Liverpool railway, 5½ miles E of Liverpool; contains, with its neighbourhood, many good houses; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Liverpool. The township comprises 1,630 acres. Real property, £10,593; of which £369 are in quarries. Pop. m 1851, 1,295; in 1861, 1,612. Houses, 283. The parish contains also the townships of Knowsley, Roby, and Tarbock. Acres, 9,807. Real property, £32,942; of which £1,367 are in mines, and £699 in quarries. Pop. in 1861, 4,054. Houses, 724. Much of the land, with Knowsley Hall, belongs to the Earl of Derby. Tarbock is the property of the Earl of Sefton. The Hazels is the seat of Sir Thomas B. Berch, Bart. Stone is quarried; and about 200 acres are peat moss. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester value, £690.* Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is ancient; was recently restored; and has two good memorial windows, and an ancient carved oak screen. The p. curacies of Knowsley and Roby are separate benefices. There are chapels for Independents and Roman Catholics, national schools for Huyton and Knowsley, and charities £40. The Independent chapel is a recent and handsome edifice, in the pointed style. The subdistrict contains also Thingwall hamlet. Pop., 4,094. Houses, 732.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Page Moss Lane, Baptist
- St George, Primrose Drive, Church of England
- St Michael, Huyton Lane, Church of England
- St Gabriel, Hall Lane, Church of England, Huyton Quarry
- Trinity, Huyton House Rd, Church of England, Page Moss
- St Bartholemew, Church Road, Church of England, Roby
- Pinnington Place, Congregational
- Seel Road, Congregational
- Park Hall, Huyton Hey Rd, Congregational
- Bethany, Dinas Lane, Gospel Hall
- Court Hey, Roby Road, Methodist
- Court Hey, Roby Road, Methodist
- Trinity, Huyton House Rd, Methodist, Page Moss
- St Dominic, Southdean Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Agnes, Hey Road, Roman Catholic, Huyton Quarry
- St Aloysius, Twig Lane, Roman Catholic, Roby
- Welsh Calvinist Methodist
- Wood Lane, Welsh Calvinist Methodist, Huyton Quarry
- Park Hall, Huyton Hey Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Seel Road, Wesleyan Methodist, Huyton Quarry
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Huyton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Knowsley. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Huyton to another place. Croxteth Park, Knowsley and Tarbock. the history of Huyton, and some information about the history of Roby. maps of Huyton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ442911 (Lat/Lon: 53.413733, -2.840986), Huyton which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Magic (Click + on map to view it)
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview