KERSLEY, or KEARSLEY, a village and a township in Deane parish, Lancashire. The village stands adjacent to the Manchester and Bolton railway, near the Bolton canal, 4 miles SE of Bolton; and is a large place. The township comprises 900 acres. Real property, £28,809; of which £17,655 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 4,236; in 1861, 5,003. Houses, 994. The increase of pop. arose from mining operations. There are extensive coal mines, and varions manufacturing establishments. A building, to serve as a school and as a temporary place of worship, was erected on Kersley-moor in 1863; and a church was then in contemplation, with the view of forming part or all of the township into a separate chapelry.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- St Stephen, Manchester Rd, Church of England, Kearsley Moor
- Ford St, Congregational, Stoneclough
- Bolton Rd, New Jerusalem
- St John Fisher, Manchester Road, Roman Catholic
- Kearsley Mount, Manchester Road, Wesleyan Methodist
- Ringley Chapel, Market St, Wesleyan Methodist, Stoneclough
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Kearsley area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Bolton. pictures and historical information.
You can see pictures of Kearsley which are provided by:gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Kearsley to another place. Deane. Kearsley in the 19th century. maps of Kearsley and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD756051 (Lat/Lon: 53.541964, -2.369681), Kearsley which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview