KIRKDALE, a township and a parochial-chapelry in Walton on the-Hill parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Merrsey, the Leeds and Liverpool canal, the Liverpool and Southport railway, and the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, within Liverpool borough, 2 miles N of Liverpool exchange; and has a post office under Liverpool, and railway stations at Sandhills and Bootle Lane. Acres, 1,132; of which 430 are water. Real property, in 1860, £63,674. Pop. in 1851, 9,893; in 1861, 16,135. Houses, 2,542. The increase of pop. arose from participation in the prosperity of Liverpool. Much of the surface is disposed in streets, continuous with Liverpool, and containing many good modern houses; but a considerable proportion is still unedificed. The Huskisson and the Canada docks, and the North Fort battery are on the Mersey; the Regent road, the Bootle road, the Derby road, the Stanley road, and the Walton road are main thoroughfaress, parallel with the Mersey, and outward from the town; and the county jail, the Liverpool industrial schools, the Kirkdale washhouse, and the Kirkdale pleasure and recreation grounds, are in the NE. The county jail stands on an elevated site; was built in 1818; had, in 1864, capacity for 472 male, and 120 female prisoners; and was greatly enlarged in 1864-5. The industrial schools were built in 1843-5, at a cost of £32,000; are in the Tudor style; have capacity for about 1,200 children; and are conducted at an annual cost about of £11,000. The K. recreation grounds are open to persons of all classes and all ages. The chapelry was constituted in 1844, and is less extensive than the township. Pop. in 1861, 14,730. Houses, 2,329. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300. Patrons, Trustees. A new church was about to be erected in 1866. The church was built in 1836, and enlarged in 1844. The North Shore national school is used as a chapel of ease. There are a United Presbyterian church, an Independent chapel, two Wesleyan chapels, a Welsh church, two national schools, an industrial ragged school and free church for the poor, built in 1862, at a cost of nearly £4,000, and a Roman Catholic institution, called the Sisters' Home. A cemetery, free to all denominations, is in Walton road.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)