KNOWSLEY, a township-chapelry in Huyton parish, Lancashire; 2½ miles N by W of Huyton r. station, and 3 NW by W of Prescot. Post town, Prescot. Acres, 4, 750. Real property, £12,549; of which £1,367 are in mines, and £330 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,486; in 1861, 1,349. Houses, 243. The property all belongs to the Earl of Derby. Knowsley Hall is the Earl's seat; has been enlarged from time to time: includes portions of the period of Henry VII.; was fully restored, by the tenth earl, before 1735; presents imposing fronts, surmounted by round towers; contains portraits of all the Stanleys, and a large and valuable collection of paintings by the old masters; and was visited, in November 1865, by the Prince and Princess of Wales. The grounds around it comprise upwards of 2,000 acres; are enclosed by a stone wall upwards of 8 feet high, pierced by thirteen entrances; and contain tasteful gardens, many ancient oaks, and ornamental waters nearly a mile long. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is recent, cruciform, and handsome; and has a W broach spire. There are national schools.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Knowsley Libraries, in Huyton, Family History pages.
- St Mary, Knowsley Lane, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Knowsley area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Knowsley. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Knowsley to another place. Huyton. the history of Knowsley. maps of Knowsley and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ435955 (Lat/Lon: 53.453205, -2.852307), Knowsley which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.