LEES, or HEY, a chapelry in Ashton-under-Lyne and Rochdale parishes, Lancashire; contiguous to Yorkshire, and containing the village of Hey, ¼ of a mile N of Lees village, near Lees r. station, and 1½ mile E of Oldham. It was constituted in 1860; and its post town is Lees, under Manchester. Pop., 3,132. Houses, 669. Pop. of the Ashton portion, 653. Houses, 145. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £165. Patron, the Rector of Ashton. The church was built in 1742, as a chapel of ease to Ashton; and is a plain edifice. There are national schools.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)