Bolton.-- or Bolton-le-Moors, par., mun. and parl. bor., and manufacturing town, SE. Lancashire, on river Croal, 11 miles NW. of Manchester and 194 miles NW. of London by rail -- par., 35,406 ac. (of which 289 ac. are water), pop. 124,763; mun. bor., 2404 ac., pop. 105,414; parl. bor., 2525 ac., pop. 108,963; 4 Banks, 7 newspapers. Market-days. Monday and Saturday. The town, which is divided by the river Croal into Great and Little Bolton, is one of the oldest seats of the cotton mfr., its staple industry; about 26,000 tons of raw material are manufactured annually into plain and fancy cotton goods. It has extensive bleaching, chemical, and engineering works, foundries, papermills, &c. Numerous collieries are in the neighbourhood. The bor. returns 2 members to Parliament.
John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887
- Eden St, Astley Bridge, Baptist
- St Paul, Holland Street, Astley Bridge, Church of England
- Seymour Rd, Astley Bridge, Methodist
- Maxwell St, Astley Bridge, Gospel Hall
- Lee Clough Mission, Old Road, Astley Bridge, Mission
- Holy Infant and St Anthony, Baxendale Street, Astley Bridge, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Little Bolton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Bolton. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Little Bolton to another place. Bolton. Little Bolton in the 19th century. maps of Little Bolton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD715110 (Lat/Lon: 53.594787, -2.432090), Little Bolton which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.