HULTON (LITTLE), a village and a township chapelry in Deane parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2¼ miles WSW of Halshaw-Moor and Farnworth r. station, and 3½ S of Bolton; is a considerable place, inhabited chiefly by weavers and colliers; and has a post office under Bolton. The chapelry is sometimes called Peel. Acres, 1,470. Real property, £18,005; of which £11,084 are in mines, and £86 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 3,184; in 1861, 3,390. Houses, 670. Peel Hall belongs to Harrison Blair, Esq.; and Kenyon Peel Hall, to Lord Kenyon. Coal is largely worked. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patron, Lord Kenyon. The church is a plain building, with a bell turret. There are a school room used for worship, chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)