Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
HULTON (LITTLE), a village and a township chapelry in Deane parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2¼ miles WSW of Halshaw-Moor and Farnworth r. station, and 3½ S of Bolton; is a considerable place, inhabited chiefly by weavers and colliers; and has a post office under Bolton. The chapelry is sometimes called Peel. Acres, 1,470. Real property, £18,005; of which £11,084 are in mines, and £86 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 3,184; in 1861, 3,390. Houses, 670. Peel Hall belongs to Harrison Blair, Esq.; and Kenyon Peel Hall, to Lord Kenyon. Coal is largely worked. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patron, Lord Kenyon. The church is a plain building, with a bell turret. There are a school room used for worship, chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Wharton, Highgate Lane, United Reformed
- St John the Baptist, Bolton Road, Church of England
- St Paul, Peel Lane, Peel, Church of England
- Providence, Hilton Lane (was Hulton Lane), Calvanistic Methodist
- Kenyon Way, St George's Rd, Methodist
- Manchester Rd East, Primitive Methodist
- Memorial Road/Rushton Street, Primitive Methodist
- Worsley Rd North, Primitive Methodist
- Clegg's Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
- Manchester Rd East, Walkden, Wesleyan Methodist
- Ram St, Gospel Hall
- Kingdom Hall, Old Lane, Jehovah's Witness
- Bethany Family Worship Centre, Kenyon Way, Pentecostal Evangelical
- Manchester Road East, Redeemed Christian Church of God
- Wharton Lane, Presbyterian
- Our Lady and the Lancashire Martyrs, Halstead Ave, Roman Catholic
- St Edmund, King and Martyr, Bridgewater St, Roman Catholic
- St Joseph, Old Lane, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Little Hulton area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Little Hulton area is Salford
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Little Hulton which are provided by:
In 1835 Little Hulton was a township in the parish of Deane
You can see the administrative areas
in which Little Hulton has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD723036 (Lat/Lon: 53.528317, -2.419345), Little Hulton which are provided by: