Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Canning Street, Catholic Apostolic, Liverpool
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves. For current information you will need to contact them directly.
Catholic Apostolic church,
The church does/did not have a graveyard.
It was founded in 1856. It is now closed, but we do not know the date of closure .
Church, Circa 1848, burnt out 1986. Nave, G. B. Nicholls and E. T. Owen, design for chancel revealed to minister by divine revelation. Ashlar with high-pitched (now destroyed) roofs. Decorated Gothic style with flamboyant tracery, now much damaged. 4-bay nave, transepts, that to south with small tower attached, 4-bay chancel with aisles continuing as ambulatory round apse. West front has central forward break with buttresses ending in pinnacles. Entrance of 2 orders with ogival hood mould with crockets, head stops and missing finial. West window of 5 lights with transom (now gone). Nave windows of 3 lights between buttresses. South transept has entrance with continuous mouldings and Tudor flowers, ogival hood mould, crockets and finial gone. Tower to west has flat angle buttresses and 2-light window, upper stage has lancet and Lombard frieze. Octagonal drum (the base of a spire) rises from pyramidal base with bases of pinnacles. Chancel has flying buttresses over aisles and ambulatory, springing from buttressed pinnacles. Chancel aisles and clerestory have 3-light windows, apse and ambulatory have 2-light windows, those to ambulatory are paired. Inside the chancel and chevet aisles are stone vaulted; the main roof now largely destroyed. Interior completely burnt out, all woodwork gone, but stonework survives. One of the more remarkable Non-Conformist churches of its date.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches etc. themselves.
It was located at SJ3571589499 (Lat/Lon 53.398386,-2.968272). You can see this on maps provided by: