DARWEN (Lower), a township and a chapelry in Blackburn parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Blackburn and Bolton railway, 2 miles S by E of Blackburn; and has a post office under Blackburn, and a r. station. Acres, 2, 490. Real property, £10,322. Pop., 3,301. Houses, 623. There are cotton-mills, extensive paper-works, and some other manufactories. The chapelry was constituted in 1842. Pop. 2,081. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Manchester. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The church was built in 1830, at a cost of £5,491. There are a Wesleyan chapel and three public schools.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)