LYDIATE, a village and a chapelry in Halsall parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 2¾ miles W of Town-Green r. station, and 4¼ SW of Ormskirk; and has a post office under Ormskirk. The chapelry comprises 1,995 acres. Real property, £6,018. Pop., 848. Houses, 152. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to T. W. Blundell, Esq. Lydiate Hall is now a farmhouse. Lydiate abbey was in the course of erection at the Reformation; was left uncompleted at the dissolution; and is now a fine ivy-clad ruin, including S wall and castellated tower. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £150. Patron, the Rector of Halsall. The church was built in 1841; is in the pointed style; and comprises two aisles and a chancel, with a pinnacled tower. A Roman Catholic church was built in 1853; and consists of nave, three aisles, and chancel, with tower, and spire. There are a parochial school and a Roman Catholic school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Lydiate area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Sefton South. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Lydiate to another place. Halsall. maps of Lydiate and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD375045 (Lat/Lon: 53.533413, -2.944444), Lydiate which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.