LYTHAM, a small town, a parish, and a sub-district, in Fylde district, Lancashire. The town stands on the N shore of the Ribble estuary, at the meeting-point of two branch railways from respectively the Preston and Wyre railway and the town of Blackpool, 8 miles SSE of Blackpool, and 12 W of Preston; is a sub-port to Preston, a watering-place, and a seat of petty sessions; presents a new, neat, and clean appearance; enjoys fine amenities of beach, environs, and climate; has undergone many improvements by a board of commissioners under a local act; and has a post office under Preston, a railwaystation with telegraph, a neat market-house of 1848, a county constabulary station, assembly-rooms, public baths, billiard-rooms, several first-class hotels, a number of respectable lodging-houses, two churches, three dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, two endowed schools, two national schools, several good private and boarding schools, a long marine parade, and a long steamboat pier. St. Cuthbert's or the parochial church was rebuilt in 1834; is a neat structure of red brick; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains monuments of the Clifton family. St. John's church stands on the E beach; was built in 1850; and is a stone edifice in the early English style. The Independent chapel stands in Westby-street, and is a handsome recent structure. The marine parade was formed by levelling the beach; is 2 miles long; and commands a fine view across the estuary. The pier was constructed in 1865; is 914 feet long; and, besides serving for steamboats from Blackpool, Southport, and other places, forms a splendid promenade. The branch railway from the Preston and Wyre line was opened in 1846; and that from Blackpool was opened in 1863. Lytham Pool, about a mile E of the town, serves as an entrepôt to Preston; accommodates large vessels for the discharging of their cargoes into smaller crafts; and has a graving dock for building and repairing vessels. A custom-house is on the E beach; and a lifeboat station is near. The parish comprises 5,177 acres of land, and 10,365 of water or foreshore. Real property, £15,425; of which £135 are in gas-works. Pop in 1851, 2,698; in 1861, 3,194. Houses, 552. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the attractions of the town as a watering-place. The manor, with Lytham Hall, belongs to Col. John Talbot Clifton. The hall stands on the NW side of the town; was erected between 1757 and 1764: and is a spacious mansion. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Durham abbey, was founded on or near the site of the Hall, in the time of Richard I., by Roger Fitz-Roger; and some remains of it are included in the Hall. A portion of the parish which had a pop. of 1,579 in 1861 was constituted a separate charge, under the name of L. St. John, in 1851. The head living is a vicarage, that of St. John a p. curacy, in the dio. of Chester. Value of the head living, £131: * of St. John, £60.* Patron of both, Col. J. T. Clifton. The sub-district contains also the Poulton-le-Fylde hamlet of Little Marton. Pop., 3,627. Houses, 620.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Further Local Studies information is held at
St. Annes Library,
254 Clifton Drive South,
St.Annes on Sea
- The History of the Fylde of Lancashire. John Porter 1876, reprinted by S.R. Publishers Ltd. 1968 SBN 85409 532 2.
- Sand Grown, The Lytham St Annes story. Kathleen Eyre 1960. Weaver & Youles (Printers) Ltd.
- Fylde Folk. Kathleen Eyre 1970. SBN 9501373 0 8. J.Brewer & Son.
- The Clifton Chronicle. John Kennedy 1990. Carnegie Publishing Ltd. ISBN 0 948789 54 9
- Windmill Land. Allen Clarke 1933. W. Foulsham & Co. Ltd.
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Lytham area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Blackpool & Fylde. Lytham in 1850, Lytham in 1907, and Lytham St Annes in 1924
One of the major events in Lytham is the annual Club Day.
You can see pictures of Lytham which are provided by:gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Lytham to another place.
There are now there distinct areas lying within the original Lytham parish, Lytham, St.Annes-on-Sea and Ansdell & Fairhaven. St.Annes is a relatively new town built for the then new fashion of seaside holidays in the western part of the parish. The first stone was in fact formally laid by the squire of Lytham, John Talbot Clifton on 31 March 1875. Ansdell & Fairhaven lies between Lytham and St.Annes.Facebook groups discuss the past and contain old pictures: maps of Lytham and places within its boundaries.
A modern map showing Lytham in relation to other places in the Fylde.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD366271 (Lat/Lon: 53.736414, -2.962634), Lytham which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.