MAWDESLEY, a township and a chapelry in Croston parish, Lancashire. The township lies on a branch of the river Douglas, 2 miles E by S of Rufford r. station, and 6 WSW of Chorley. Acres, 2,887. Real property, £5,364. Pop., 912. Houses, 169. The manor belongs to Sir Thomas Hesketh, Bart., and John R. De Trafford, Esq. Mawdesley Hall is an ancient mansion, on a sandstone rock; was formerly the seat of the Mawdesley family; and is now the residence of P. Blundell, Esq. The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1843. Post-town, Ormskirk. Pop., 1,189. Houses, 217. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £165. * Patron, the Rector of Croston. The church was built in 1840; is in the early English style; and consists of nave only, with tower and small spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics, a national school, a free school, and charities £4. The R. Catholic chapel was built in 1830; is a handsome edifice, with 500 sittings; and has attached to it a large burying-ground.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)