MEDLAR-WITH-WESHAM, a township in Kirkham parish, Lancashire; around Kirkham r. station, from ½ a mile to 2½ miles N of Kirkham. It has a postal letterbox, at the r. station, under Preston; and has there also a hotel. Acres, 1,971. Real property, £3,441. Pop. in 1851, 170; in 1861, 563. Houses, 101. The increase of pop. arose from additional employment in cotton mills. The manor, with Mowbreck Hall, belongs to J. T. Fazakerley-Westby, Esq. The Hall is a fine old edifice of red brick, castellated with stone; and contains a domestic Roman Catholic chapel. A large school, used also as a lecture hall, and belonging to the Independents, was built at Wesham in 1864.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)