MELLING, a township-chapelry in Halsall parish, Lancashire; on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, adjacent to the river Alt, and to the East Lancashire railway, 1 mile SE of Maghull r. station, and 7 NNE of Liverpool. It has a postal letter-box under Liverpool. Acres, 2,120. Real property, £5,430; of which £100 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 662; in 1861, 728. Houses, 126. The chief landowners are Lord Skelmersdale, the Earl of Derby, and T. W. Blundell, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £120. Patron, the Rector of Halsall. The church was rebuilt in 1834; is in the pointed style; and contains several handsome tablets. There are a national schoo1, with £25 a year from endowment, and a Roman Catholic school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)