MELLING, a village, a township, and a parish in the district and county of Lancaster. The village stands near the Furness and Midland railway, 2 miles NNE of Hornby; and has a r. station. The township bears the name of Melling and Wrayton, and comprises 1,120 acres. Real property, £1,618. Pop., 169. Houses, 35. The parish contains also the township of Hornby, which has a post office under Lancaster, and the townships of Farleton, Roeburndale, Wennington, Wray-with-Botton, and Arkholme-with-Cawood. Acres, 23,474. Real property, £18,046; of which £40 are in mines, and £60 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2,204; in 1861, 2,013. Houses, 393. The property is subdivided. Much of the land, with Hornby Castle, belongs to John Foster, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £145. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early perpendicular English; includes a chantry at the E end of the S aisle; has ten stained-glass windows; and was repaired in 1855. The chapelries of Hornby, Arkholme, and Wray are separate benefices. Chapels for Wesleyans and United Free Methodists are in Wray; a Roman Catholic chapel is in Hornby; and a slightly endowed school and charities £67 are in Melling.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)