MELLOR, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Blackburn parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands 2½ miles NW of Blackburn r. station. The township contains also part of the hamlet of Mellor-Brook, which has a post office under Blackburn. Acres, 1,830. Real property, £4,080. Pop. in 1851, 1,668; in 1861, 1,398. Houses, 288. The decrease of pop. was caused by the removal of families to Blackburn. The manor belongs to the representatives of the late J. F. Hinder, Esq. Mellor House is the seat of H. Hargreaves, Esq. Mellor-Moor has traces of a Roman camp, and commands a fine view to the Irish sea. There are stone quarries and some mineral springs. A cotton mill is at Mellor-Brook, and hand-loom weaving is carried on. The chapelry includes also the township of Ramsgrave, and was constituted in 1842. Pop., 1,718. Houses, 351. The manor of Ramsgrave belongs to Lord de Tabley. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The church was built in 1829, at a cost of £5,275; is in the pointed style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and lofty spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school. The sub-district contains also the townships of Balderstone, Osbaldeston, and Clayton-in-le-Dale. Acres, 6,227. Pop., 2,863. Houses, 577.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- St Mary, Church Lane, Church of England
- St Saviour, Whalley Road, Mellor Brook, Church of England
- Mellor Brow, Mellor Brook, Wesleyan Methodist
- Mellor Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Mellor area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Preston & South Ribble. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Mellor to another place. Blackburn. maps of Mellor and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD652308 (Lat/Lon: 53.772367, -2.529501), Mellor which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.