This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves. For current information you will need to contact them directly.
Wesleyan Methodist church, Mellor Brow, Mellor Brook Lancashire
The church does not have a graveyard.
It was founded in 1853 and closed in 1964.
The Wesleyan Methodists originally held their services in a cottage in the passageway opposite the chapel, located at the bottom of Mellor Brow. Half of the floor of the upper room was cut away to form a gallery; and it was at that time chiefly supplied by Preston Methodists. The first class leader was Mr W Turner who in 1843 led a small group of five members. However a purpose built chapel was needed and prayer services were held in a room at the cotton spinning mill pending the building of a new chapel. This was carried out in 1851 - 1852 on land given to the society by Mrs Brierly and Thomas Counsell. The foundation stone was laid by Joseph Hall; the cost of the building was £30; it had room for 210 sittings and was opened on Good Friday March 26th 1853.
The Smalley family of Mellor played a part in its extension and prosperity, and John Moon and his family were also imprtant benefactors. The chapel was closed in 1964 and converted into living apartments.
Extract from History of Mellor in Lancashire by Neil Summersgill 1999
The Wesleyan Methodist church was formed in the 18th century from religous societies founded by John Wesley and his preachers. It suffered many secessions, but was the largest Nonconformist denomination in the 19th century. In 1932 the Wesleyan Methodists joined with the Primitive Methodists and the United Methodists to form the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches etc. themselves.
It was located at SD6410031177 (Lat/Lon 53.775681,-2.546220). You can see this on maps provided by: