HULTON (MIDDLE), a township in Deane parish, Lancashire; near the Bolton and Leigh railway, 3½ miles SSW of Bolton. Acres, 1,280. Real property, £6,446; of which £3,591 are in mines, and £100 in quarries. Pop., 790. Houses, 157. The manor belongs to the Earl of Ellesmere. Leigh's charities here yield £67 a year.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)