We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
This is the Middleton near Manchester. There is also a Middleton township near Lancaster.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
MIDDLETON, a town, a township, a sub-district, and a parish, in Lancashire. The town stands in a fertile vale, on the river Irk, at the terminus of a short branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, near the Rochdale canal, 6 miles N by E of Manchester; took its name from being situated in the centre of several circumjacent towns; was only a village of 20 houses in 1770; has risen, since 1780, into a populous seat of manufacture; is now an important place, nearly a mile in length, well supplied with water, thoroughly drained, and under the management of a local improvement board by act of 1861; is so conjoined with Tonge in both proximity and trade as practically to include or absorb that town; carries on industry in extensive silk factories, in numerous large cotton factories, in calico-printing, bleaching, and dyeing establishments, in iron foundries, and in machinemaking establishments; publishes a weekly newspaper; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post office under Manchester, a railway station with telegraph, several good inns, a police station, a market-house, public baths, two churches, five dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chape1, a grammar school, two national and infant schools, a free library, a church reading-room and library, an agricultural society, and a floral and horticultural society.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) more ...
Local studies information is held at Middleton library.
- Temple Street, Particular Baptist
- Providence, Market Place, Congregational
- Salem, Manchester Rd, Congregational
- All Saints, Manchester Old Road, Rhodes, Church of England
- All Saints and Martyrs, Wood St, Langley, Church of England
- Holy Innocents, Oldham Rd, Church of England
- Holy Trinity, Sunny Brow, Parkfield, Church of England
- St Aidan, Millbeck Road, Langley, Church of England
- St Gabriel, Greenhill Rd, Middleton Junction, Church of England
- St Leonard, St Leonard's Square , Church of England
- St Margaret, Stanycliffe Lane, Boarshaw, Church of England
- St Thomas, Heywood Old Road, Bowlee, Church of England
- St Stephen, High Street, Countess of Huntingdons Connexion
- Windermere Road, Langley, Methodist
- Boarshaw Road , Primitive Methodist
- Chapel Street, Rhodes, Primitive Methodist
- Grimshaw Lane, Bowlee, Primitive Methodist
- Grimshaw Lane, Jumbo, Primitive Methodist
- Heywood Old Road, Bowlee, Primitive Methodist
- Morton Street, Primitive Methodist
- Hollin Lane, Hebers, United Methodist Free Church
- Sadler St, United Methodist Free Church
- Grimshaw Lane, Middleton Junction, Wesleyan Methodist
- Long Street, Wesleyan Methodist
- Manchester Old Rd, Rhodes, Wesleyan Methodist
- Wood Street, Wesleyan Methodist
- The River, Martindale Crescent, Langley, Community Church
- Hilton Fold Lane, Jehovah's Witness
- Ashton Lane, Latter Day Saints
- The Shepherd's House, Long St, Redeemed Christian Church of God
- Egerton Street, Rhodes, Swedenborgian
- Manchester Old Rd, Swedenborgian
- Wood Street, Swedenborgian
- Manchester Old Road, Unitarian
- Our Lady of the Assumption, Wood Street, Roman Catholic
- St Agnes , Whalley Road , Hollins, Roman Catholic
- St Columba, Windermere Road, Langley, Roman Catholic
- St John Fisher , Boarshaw Road , Roman Catholic
- St Peter, Taylor Street , Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Middleton area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Offices covering the Middleton area are Rochdale and Oldham.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Middleton which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Middleton has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD869061 (Lat/Lon: 53.551358, -2.199204), Middleton which are provided by: