WOOLTON, a village and a chapelry in Much-Woolton township, Childwall parish, Lancashire. The vi1lage stands 2 miles NNE of Garston r. station, and 5 SE of Liverpool; was anciently called Wolveton; comprises several streets; and has a post-office under Liverpool, a police station, and a mechanics' institution. The chapelry was constituted in 1828. Pop. in 1861, 3,538. Houses, 687. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Childwall. The church was built in 1826. There are an Independent chapel of 1864, a Wesleyan chapel of 1834, a Unitarian chapel of about the end of the 16th century, a Roman Catholic chapel of 1861, national schools, a British school, and a Roman Catholic school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)