NETHERTON, a township, with a village, in Sefton parish, Lancashire; on the river Alt, and on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 6 miles N by E of Liverpool. Acres, 1,090. Real property, £2,661. Pop., 286. Houses, 45. The manor belongs to the Earl of Sefton. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)