NEWCHURCH, or Newchurch-Kenyon, a village and a parish in Leigh district, Lancashire. The village stands near Kenyon Junction r. station, 3½ miles S of Leigh; and has a post-office under Warrington. The parish consists of the townships of Kenyon and Culcheth; contains the hamlets of Risley, Bury-Lane, Twiss-Green, Wigsbaw, and Holcroft; and was formerly a chapelry of Winwick parish. Acres, 6,958. Real property, £12,758. Pop. in 1851, 2,688; in 1861, 2,488. Houses, 499. The property is divided chiefly among four. The manor of Culcheth, with Culcheth Hall, belongs to T. E. Withington, Esq. Kenyon House is the seat of R. Dewhurst, Esq.; New Brook House, of J. Hartley, Esq.; and Ivy House, of M. Tomlinson, Esq. The cotton manufacture is carried on, and bricks and tiles are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £240. Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is old; comprises nave, aisle, chancel, and porch; and contains some brasses. There are a chapel of ease at Bury-Lane, chapels for Methodists, and national schools.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)