It was founded before 1825. It is now closed and has been demolished, but we do not know the date of closure. It is likely to have been in the 1950's when the church suffered 'dry rot'. At this time services continued in school building across the road.
The church was built in 1839, then renovated in the 1860s, when the school opposite was built. It was started by William Wood, and known as 'Billy Wood's Chapel'
The Wesleyan Methodist church was formed in the 18th century from religous societies founded by John Wesley and his preachers. It suffered many secessions, but was the largest Nonconformist denomination in the 19th century. In 1932 the Wesleyan Methodists joined with the Primitive Methodists and the United Methodists to form the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches etc. themselves.